I am an engineering leader, well-versed in agile development. I have a good eye for identifying talent and developing it. I believe in continuous integration and deployment, radical sharing of knowledge, secure-by-design, and in the idea that people are at their most productive when they find their bliss. I enjoy teaching and learning from everyone. While I enjoy managing teams, I am unafraid to jump in and do development, systems engineering, debugging, and quality assurance work. I love to teach both technical and non-technical audiences. I have learned that I have so much more to learn.
- Expert level programming: C and Python, particularly in Unix environments.
- Learner level programming: Ruby, Go, Swift
- Advanced understanding of relational database design and maintenance. Worked as a database adiminstrator for MySQL, PostgreSQL, Sybase, and Microsoft SQL Server environments.
- Advanced understanding of TCP/IP network protocols, particularly HTTP and DNS.
- Solid understanding of cryptographic communication; public/private key and symmetric encryption, hashing functions and algorithms.
- Certified Scrum Master (#374290), certified since November 2014.
- Software: git (including GitHub and GitHub Enterprise), svn, CFEngine, SaltStack, Docker, Vagrant, Confluence, Jira.
- Open Source contributor: co-author of aescrypt, primary author of
video games The Puzzler and Cosmic Assault. I have contributed patches to
several other packages as well.
||Limelight Networks, Inc.
Software project management, analysis, design and implementation for performance metrics and DNS.
- Managed a global pool of 250+ DNS servers running custom dynamic hostname resolution software.
- Lead engineer and scrum master for development team building edge, middleware, API, and web client for advanced DNS management and control system to replace existing DNS infrastructure. Technologies used: PowerDNS, Python, MySQL, Django, Apache, nginx, JQuery, Bootstrap.
- Other details currently bound by NDA.
|2/2008-8/2013 & 1/2002-1/2006
||Mars Space Flight Facility, Arizona State
University, Tempe, Arizona
||(2/2008-8/2013) Senior Mission Operations Software Engineer (1/2002-1/2006) Scientific Software Engineer
Software design, development and testing for Mars Odyssey, Mars
Exploration Rovers, and Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter Missions.
- Developed a decompiler/integrity verifier program for THEMIS instrument
- Interfaced ImageMagick to Davinci data analysis language package,
to export multi-dimensional data sets as images or movies. Interfaced
Davinci to ISIS 3 using the ISIS 3 API to support their file formats. Also
Interfaced GDAL to davinci to get support for all the file types GDAL
- Database lead for MySQL to PostgreSQL migration.
- Wrote software to unpack image data downloaded from spacecraft,
convert timing information, and store it in a PostgreSQL database for later
- Developed a database schema and wrote a data query tool to extract
spacecraft image data based on orbital, experimental, areographic, and
- Developed code to process geometric map projection of
hyperspectral images across multiple CPUs.
- Used the JPL/NAIF CSPICE software library to create database and
time conversion utilities.
- Wrote a specification to add distributed shared memory features
to davinci data analysis package.
- Developed interface programs to USGS ISIS package to streamline
and simplify image mosaicking process.
- Wrote a JNI-based wrapper around the JPL/NAIF SPICE library to
give Java programmers access to it.
- Wrote a GNOME Panel Applet to report true local solar time, solar
elevation angles, and solar longitude for the Mars Exploration Rover
- Developed a series of objects to create, edit, and format
Planetary Data System (PDS) labels and PDS history objects for use in a
||McClatchy Company, Lowcountry Operations, Bluffton, South
||Lead Software Engineer
internet, intranet, and newspaper production processes in support of
two daily newspapers, The Island
Packet and The Beaufort
- Designed and implemented a location based advertising/guide Drupal
- Evaluated IT helpdesk solutions and deployed best choice
application (in this case OTRS) for use by company IT staff.
- Transited all development projects to use the Subversion revision control
- Deployed Drupal-based intranet for two newspapers.
- Designed and implemented a configurable workflow system to improve
- Extended video player modules for Drupal CMS to accept newsroom and
reader contributed videos to be hosted on 3rd party vendor site but remain
integrated with our CMS.
||Nimitz Technologies, Queen Creek, Arizona
||Lead Software Engineer
Self employed, working on several embedded Linux
systems projects for Valley of the Sun clients.
- Developed conversion software and GTK-based GUI front end to make
Pertec 9-track format directories readable and exportable under
- Made Linux 2.0.38 for ColdFire processors work correctly with
MS-DOS partition tables and the various FAT-based filesystems.
- Interfaced Pertec-to-SCSI emulation board to Linux system for
remote management and file access via web browsers.
||Enhanced Software Technologies, Phoenix, Arizona
Member of the BRUPro Implementation Team, EST's follow-on product to its
successful BRU Backup product. Successfully met all project milestones and
delivered a working product to quality assurance on time and under budget
on a repeated basis. BRU-Pro was recognized by Linux Journal as the Linux
Backup product of the Year for 2001.
- Designed and implemented software licensing mechanisms in C and
Python using RSA and MD5 to generate license keys.
- Integrated Rijndael encryption algorithm into aescrypt open source
- Designed and implemented user interface for product web interface
- Designed and implemented the BRU-Pro job scheduling subsystem.
Implemented numerous interfaces between application server,
database server, remote clients, and user front-ends in C, shell scripts,
||American Express, Phoenix, Arizona
||Database Administrator and Manager
Contract position for American Express' International Risk and Fraud
Management Web Services group.
- Managed two Sybase Adaptive Servers running on a Sun E10000
running Solaris 7.
- Managed Microsoft SQL Servers running on Windows NT.
- Developed new logical and physical models for web-based international
portfolio performance econometric reporting for risk analysis and in-depth
global fraud recovery analysis.
- Responsible for database performance and tuning, data
access policies, and database security.
- Developed automated data loading procedures, using cron,
Makefiles, and shell and Perl scripts.
- Supervise and mentor data analysts.
- Assist web developers in query optimization, data access, and